Friday, November 19, 2010

Some misunderstandings of Shamisen-2

What is the most important thing that influence the sound quality of Shamisen?
Definitely, it's a quality of skin and tension control!
Some persons asked me about Ayasugi-Dou via our eBay store.
Ayasugi is the design pattern that carved inside Shamisen's body.






It is said that Ayasugi will improve the sound quality.
But, there is some debate over whether Ayasugi has that effect.
I think that few if any. Because, too small body, if we talk about a acoustic theory.
Since olden days, Japanese has preferred to design the inside part, the under side of lid, the lining of Kimono and so on.
I think Ayasugi is one of them.
Additionally, we can say that Ayasugi is the evidence of hiquality Shamisen in past days, but now, it can be carved by machine.
So when you choose a Shamisen, you shouldn't attach importance to Ayasugi-Dou.
More important is a skin and it's tension.
In Japan, New Shamisen is usually displayed without a skin in the sincere Shamisen shop.





Because, a taut skin will deteriorate slowly with time, so never stretch a skin on the body until purchase.


1 comment:

  1. I am about to buy my first shamisen and I always see "no ayasugi". Thank you for posting this, now I know what it means!

    ReplyDelete